What the organisation is and does. What the client brief to us was.
Bay of Plenty Community Trust (BayTrust) was formed in 1988 from the proceeds of the sale of Trust Bank Bay of Plenty. The purpose of the Trust is to provide charitable, cultural, philanthropic, recreational and other benefits to Bay of Plenty communities. BayTrust has an investment portfolio of around $193m. The Trust’s region extends from Katikati to Turangi to Te Kaha and includes Tauranga, Rotorua, Whakatane and Taupo.
Since its inception BayTrust has invested over $64m in hundreds of community groups across the Bay of Plenty that provide a wide range of services, from coastguard units to kapa haka, music events and health services.
- Social investment and loans
- Capacity building for community organisations
- Strategic and multi-year funding
- Community Impact funding
- Community support and event funding
- scholarships to people with disabilities
Over the last few years CSI has been commissioned to undertake several projects for BT:
- Conduct research to inform strategic planning and development
- Conduct research on housing in the BOP (funded by multiple partners)
- Assist in the development of BayTrust evaluation framework
- Undertaken a review of Sport Bay of Plenty’s BayTrust CoachForce Programme
- Provide evaluation capacity assessment and capacity building to strategic fund applicants (e.g. Blue Light, Sport BoP, REAP Taupo, Graeme Dingle Foundation, Ngati Ranginui, Kids Greening Taupo)
What the community partners’ needs were?
BayTrust indicated they needed ongoing local evaluation and research advice and support and access to a national pool of resources associated with philanthropic national and international best practice and emerging trends.
What our response was
Initially services were provided to BayTrust on a project by project basis while developing the partnership approach and regional model. As part of the implementation of a regional CSI model that was developed with BayTrust, a contract for service (of one year’s duration in the first instance) with CSI was signed to provide local CSI support for:
- BayTrust’s Evaluation Framework implementation
- Evaluation advice to strategic fund applicants
- Evaluation advice and support to Bay Brighter Futures (a coordinated multi-funder approach to provide strategic funding)
- Research and evaluation e.g. investigation into an approach to measure the outcomes of impact investment
Progress to date
- Two research reports based on literature reviews and interviews completed:
- “Research Project: Investing for Social Impact in the Bay of Plenty”
- “Sustainable Housing in the Bay of Plenty: Strategic Advice Paper for Community Funders”
- Facilitation and drafting of BayTrust’s Strategic Plan
- Facilitation of strategic action plan with co-funders of the Housing Research
- Assessment of 10 strategic fund applicant’s evaluation capacity and provision of evaluation support
- Review of Sport Bay of Plenty’s BayTrust CoachForce programme
- Evaluation advice and support to Blue Light National Driver Navigator programme and to Sport Bay of Plenty